There is no denying that riding a motorcycle brings with it a certain thrill which you simply can't get from driving a car. Of course, this thrill comes with a caveat; the vehicle doesn't include any safety items to protect you in the event of an accident.
Benefits of Motorcycle Safety Gear
For this reason, it's important for all riders to be aware of motorcycle safety gear, how it differs from regular clothing, and how it can protect you in an accident. To help get you started on the right (and safe) track, Ace Hi Oil
has some information to share.
Your helmet is arguably the most important item of safety gear when riding a motorbike. And with good reason - it is the single object you have to protect your head in the event of an accident. When looking for a motorcycle helmet, consider the following:
- It’s the law! So if your first thought was to wonder whether you need one - the answer is yes.
- Do Your Research
- Before you head to a store, do your research online, compare models and specifications, along with speaking to other riders regarding their suggestions and experience.
- Don't Be Fashionable
- Instead of choosing the most expensive or the most stylish motorcycle helmet, focus on the safety inclusions it has or its overall safety rating. When you have an accident, nobody is going to worry about how fashionable your helmet is
- Try It On!
- Once you have narrowed down your choices, take the information into a motorcycle store and speak with a professional to get the right model and fit. Be sure that any helmet you try on feels both secure and comfortable.
Try out this exercise. Sit on a chair with no sides. Now, rock side to side until you almost fall off the chair.
Did you notice that your hands leaped into action as you were about to fall in preparation to stop you or to lessen your fall? This is a natural reaction and one which occurs in a motorcycle accident. For this reason, it is important to get the right gloves.
Look for the following when choosing gloves:
- Made from quality material. Leather is preferable
- Are waterproof
- Include reinforcements for your wrist and palm.
- Allow you to safely and comfortably control your bike
- Are comfortable
- Are the correct size
When choosing your motorcycle gloves, it is important to remember that, in addition to being a great piece of safety gear, it can also determine the level of grip and control you have over your handles and levers.
For the best engine lubricants and motor oil for your motorcycle, speak with Ace Hi Oil
at (888) 459-9958
. With access to a wide range of high-quality AMSOIL synthetic engine oils
to choose from, Ace Hi Oil
will ensure you get the right product for your ride.
It doesn’t matter how fashionable that denim jacket is or how cool you look wearing it, it isn’t designed to, and won’t, protect you in the case of a motorcycle accident. Instead of putting your safety at risk, check out some fashionable purpose designed motorcycle jackets, paying attention to the following:
- Be Sure That It Is Waterproof
- Without a roof, your jacket is all that’s between you and arriving home soaking wet
- Quality Matters
- Be sure that the material is of the highest quality. A leather jacket is going to be your best option, however, pay attention to the quality of the lining, stitching, and zippers/buttons.
- Safety Features
- Some jackets may only include reinforcement for your elbow joint, whereas other jackets extend this protection down the forearm. Be sure it includes full-length reinforcements.
- Choose a jacket that fits comfortably while riding. Remember that you aren’t going to be walking around the streets wearing your jacket. First and foremost, be sure that you can comfortable ride your bike while wearing it.
Similar to that denim jacket, your jeans just aren’t going to cover it if you get into a serious motorcycle accident. For full protection, you will need to get yourself a pair of motorcycle pants which have been purpose designed for riders. When you are looking, keep your eyes out for the following:
- Safety Reinforcements
- Be sure the pants include reinforcements around your knee joint and also measures to protect your hips.
- High-Quality Material
- Check the quality of the material and ensure it can withstand a serious accident where you slide along the road. In this instance, how well your pants hold up can determine your injuries.
- Look for pants which are breathable and are comfortable to ride. Remember that you won’t have air-conditioning, so when the sun is shining up above, how well your pants (and jacket, for that matter) defends you against the heat can determine how comfortable your ride is.
- While your bike may come with storage, you aren’t going to want to keep your personal items in there. Be sure your pants include sufficient and convenient pockets.
Last, but certainly not least, are motorcycle boots. In a motorcycle accident, feet are a very vulnerable part of the body. For this reason, it’s important you get the right boots. Look out for the following:
- Be sure they include non-stick technology to give you tight control when you are riding.
- Do They Flex?
- Test how well they flex. If you get into an accident, you don’t want boots which allow for a lot of flexibility because your foot is going to be inside it when that happens.
- Ankle Support
- Be sure they cover your ankle and include support and safety reinforcements.
- Get the Right Fit
- Get fitted at a motorcycle store instead of buying online.
Keep Your Motorcycle in Good Shape With a Synthetic Oil Change in Colleyville
Of course, none of this safety gear matters if you don't ride safely! Each time you get on your bike, take a second and think about what you can do to ride safely. With safe riding and the right safety gear, you'll be ready to enjoy your trip!
To get the best performance out of your bike and keep it performing
for longer, speak with Ace Hi Oil
at (888) 459-9958
and ask about the range of high-quality AMSOIL
motorcycle engine lubricants.